Monday, April 23, 2012

911 Peace - Bill Meehan's Instructions For Life

Cleaning out files recently, I came across one I had from my days as a trading department manager at a Michigan Investment firm.  Among several papers, I found an article I printed from TheStreet.com on September 30, 2001, just 19 days after 911.  Bill Meehan, Chief Financial Analyst for Cantor Fitzgerald and frequent commentator for The Street and CNBC had written a year-end, inspirational piece originally posted 12/22/2000.  He, along with all 657 employees at the Trade Towers Cantor Fitzgerald office died the morning of the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.  Here is an excerpt from Bill Meehan's article:

INSTRUCTIONS FOR LIFE, by Bill Meehan

I decided to share some words of wisdom that I received Thursday morning for my final piece of the old millennium.  They're purported to be from the Dalai Lama, who's obviously far smarter than I am, and he's unquestionably one of the world's great spiritual leaders.  Besides, I'm in full agreement with his "Instruction for Life."  Not only that, but my ex-wife tells me that there's an abundance of good karma coming my way if I share them with you within 96 hours.

You, too, might benefit by passing them on to all of your friends, relatives and acquaintances.  I wouldn't be surprised if doing so, and also following them, won't improve your personal, professional and spiritual life.  Here they are:

Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.

When you lose, don't lose the lesson.

Follow the three "R's": Respect for self, respect for others, responsibility for all your actions.

Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly.

Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship.

When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.

Spend some time alone every day.

Open your arms to change, but don't let go of your values.

Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer. 

Live a good, honorable life.  Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.

A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.

In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation.  Don't bring up the past.

Share your knowledge.  It's a way to achieve immortality.

Be gentle with the earth.

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

Remember that the best relationship is one which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.

And, I'll end with one (or is it two?) of my own rules:

Concern yourself only with the things you can change, and remember that you can always change how you perceive any difficulties.

All of us at Cantor Fitzgerald wish you a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.  We're honored by your trust and exceedingly grateful for your business, and we're fully committed to continue earning both for many years to come.

See ya in the new millennium!

Thank you Bill Meehan (and the Dalai Lama) for these reminders to live by.  I am honored and humbled to transcribe these words here and share them again.  Mostly, I am thankful.




No comments:

Post a Comment